Saturday, March 14, 2009

I am an idiot #1 - Dont Fry Frozen Wings

So last night, I was rushing around getting ready to head to a friend's house.

I was too ambitious and decided to try and make wings, along with this awesome desert Lov and I had at La Tasca last week in London. I couldn't find sorbet, so I was using Kroger brand sherbert (3.99).

So I threw some wings (8.99)in the microwave to thaw while I haphazardly began trying to use a grapefruit spoon to get the fruit out of the oranges (.55 each) . After they first batch of wings defrosted, I threw them in the fryer. Everything was going well, and I was on time to be at their house by 6:30.

So the sherbert started to melt, and I forgot about thawing the rest of the wings. Crap, I'll just throw some more wings directly into the fryer.

This is when the moment of disaster hit.

"Why are they fizzing?"

"Why is the oil rising?"

OHHHHH CRAP! - oil all over the floor. Apparently cheese sticks, jalapeno poppers, etc are all fine to throw in frozen. Wings apparently are not. The frost on them does not mix well with oil. (Oil and water do not mix - I guess I've heard that before)

So after quickly corraling the dogs into their respective cages I went into disaster recovery mode; all this had to be cleaned up before Lov got home and decapitated me.

Cleaning up vegetable oil from the entire counter top and half the kitchen floor is not easy. It doesnt really soak up, just kinda moves around.

So - the point of this post:

DO NOT PUT FROZEN WINGS IN THE FRYER

No comments: